I'm a full time teacher and a mom and write books for kids. I love all three of these roles and have to come up with creative ways to manage this tricky balancing act, while still doing a good job at each.
I'm trying a new strategy for my "To-Do" lists. As a task master, I get a lot of satisfaction out of crossing off an item I finish on my list. But after crossing off a few things, my list starts to look messy and I waste time by creating a shiny new list.
I've also tried bullet journals/lists, but I have so much fun decorating and doodling, that I don't have much time to actually do the things on the list.
I decided to try this sticky-note system for the summer. There are several advantages to this:
1. The notes blocking my view will drive me crazy and make me want to get them done.
2. There is also great satisfaction in finishing one of them, tearing it down, crumpling it up, and throwing it away.
3. Everyone in the house knows I have a lot to do, by seeing this. Instead of asking what I'm so busy doing, they can simply read them. Maybe even pitch in! ;)
4. These are in the middle of my house and a constant reminder of things I should be doing instead of sitting in the sun or checking out Facebook and Twitter.
5. If I only have a few minutes, I can choose one of the items that is a 5 minute task. I can make a plan for when I do one of the tasks that could take days. (And reward myself with a treat or a break when I finish.)
It's just like anything, from maintaining a healthy diet to creating a smart budget. You have to keep track of your progress to hold yourself accountable. This will be a fun, practical way for me to make the most of my summer hours when the rest of my family is busy with their work or activities. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to hit, "Publish" and rip off the "Do June Blog Post" note from my window, crumple it up, and throw it away! :)
What are your strategies for getting things done in a timely manner?