Speaking Sample Video
"I was so impressed with Shannon’s presentation to our elementary students! In fact, it was the best presentation on writing for young people that I have seen in 21 years of teaching! She shared many specific writing tips with our students, and I could see my writers drinking in all she had to say. Her emphasis on revision and responding to feedback was especially good, and I think it helped my readers accept my critiques of their writing more readily."
-Gina Boyd, 4/5 High Ability Teacher
"Shannon Anderson's visit to Mayflower Mill was fantastic. She was a joy to work with. The children were captivated and the teachers were very complimentary. I would recommend a visit with her anytime."
-Susie Eros, Library Aide, Mayflower Mill Elementary School, Lafayette, Indiana
"Shannon visited our K-6 school. The response from all teachers and students was overwhelmingly positive. The teachers were especially pleased with the fact that Shannon explained the process she goes through from draft to publication as a writer. Shannon has great rapport with students. I was so pleased to have teachers tell me that this was the best author visit we've ever had at our school!" -Molly Henry, Literacy Coach, Greenwood Elementary, Toledo, Ohio
"Thank you again for sharing your afternoon with us yesterday. You are an inspiration to the young and old at heart. How you can motivate the average person to want to go and write their own book the same day they meet you, it is just captivating! I will share that one of our 3rd Grade Teachers is starting her very own "Deed Diary" today! Another 3rd Grade Teacher is looking to begin an Author's Night. All of these things are happening because of YOU!"
- David Myers, Title One Director, Kankakee Valley School Corporation
"I loved your visit with Mintonye! Your background knowledge and experience teaching, was very helpful when it came to relaying information to the student authors. You did a wonderful job relating to the students and speaking their language."
-Karin Schurman, Kindergarten Teacher, Tippecanoe School Corporation
"I wanted to send a huge thank you for your time and presentation of your hard work. I truly enjoyed your session on writing and sharing your love of writing as well as your presentation to the students. My students can't stop talking about how exciting it was to meet an author! Your books are so great, entertaining, and such a great example of excellent writing. Today we read "Nicken Chuggets" and created our own spoonerism posters. Again, I so much appreciated having you visit our school."
-Chris Ellert, 4th grade teacher, Prairie Heights Elementary
Writing Workshop for Teachers
"Shannon's presentation was full of useful ideas and examples that can be implemented in any classroom. If you weren't sure about the importance of writing and the steps to help facilitate appropriate writing practices, her presentation puts everything in perspective. Shannon makes teaching good writing techniques simple and provides examples that can and should be used everyday."
-Amy O'Boyle, DIrector of Special Education at St. Charles in Fort Wayne, Indiana
Writing Workshop for Adult Writers
Shannon's Picture Book Boot Camp is a marvelous introduction into the world of picture book writing. From word counts to number of pages, plot thoughts, and resource guides, Shannon gives you a detailed overview of how to get started writing picture books. It is a wealth of information that helps give the novice author the confidence that this might just be possible to do.
Her critiques are positive and encouraging, allowing the beginner writer to feel motivated to keep trying and to put whatever effort necessary for a successful book. Her suggestions are useful and insightful and her compliments sincere. Receiving Shannon's critique left me feeling pleased with what I had motivated me to make it better.
-Rosemary Bogdan, Michigan Writing Workshop
Teacher Testimonials Video from the Illinois Gifted Children Conference
Teacher testimonial from Lead Learners Writing Summit Workshop
I love speaking at schools, libraries, clubs, and events! I also offer professional development for teachers. Here are some FAQ's. If these do not answer your questions, please click on the "Contact Me" tab to email me.
- How far in advance should I book a visit?
- Please book at least a month ahead of time if possible.
- What does your visit consist of?
- There are many options for my visit:
- Whole school presentation
- Two large group presentations (Usually 1st-2nd grades & 3rd-5th grades)
- Specific grade level presentations
- Hands-on writing or poetry sessions with up to 50 students at a time
- Professional development for teachers on writing strategies to use with students
- Professional development on the social and emotional needs of students
- Whatever options you choose, you can have 2 sessions for a half day visit or up to 4 sessions for a whole day visit.
- What does your presentation consist of?
- Many say I'm a "Writing Cheerleader" because of my energetic approach to sharing my passion for writing. My goal is to motivate students to not only want to write, but to become better writers. I share my top writing tips and examples. (Teachers have told me they especially love referring back to my message about revision.) Kids and teachers alike enjoy hearing about the behind the scenes scoop on getting a book published as well.
- Do you have suggestions for funding a visit?
- You may consider collaborating with another local school(s). I can present at two or three schools in one day if they are not too spread apart.
- Some schools have used Donor's Choose funding, local or educational grants, Title I funds, High Ability funds, PTO groups, sorority donations, library/media funds, participant fees for an author fair, or PD funds if you also have me coach your teachers for part of the visit.
- What are your prices?
- Please click on the contact me tab to email me your specific presentation request. Prices range depending on how many presentations and the distance traveled.
2019 - 2020 Events
- January 19th, 2019 - Young Author Event in Goshen, Indiana
- January 26th, 2019 - Optimist Club Keynote in Warsaw, Indiana
- January 31st-February 1st - Presenter for the Illinois Association for Gifted Children Conference
- February 2nd, 2019 - Keynote for Ladies' Day Conference in Brooklyn, Michigan
- February 5th - Author Visit to Kankakee Valley Elementary School
- February 8-10th, 2019 - NY SCBWI Conference attending regional advisor
- March 2nd, 2019 - Presenter for the Apple Summit in St. Louis, Missouri
- March 9th, 2019 - Young Author Conference Presenter, North Judson-San Pierre Elementary
- March 16th, 2019 - Presenter at the ICTE Conference, Indianapolis
- March 23rd, 2019 - Best Practice Showcase presenter
- March 26th, 2019 - Author visit in Warsaw, Indiana
- April 6th, 2019 - Book signing at the Step Ahead Family Fair, Rensselaer, Indiana
- April 13th, 2019 - Authors in the Woods presenter, Evansville, Indiana
- April, 2019 - Outstanding Future Reading Teacher Ceremony Keynote Speaker, Orchard Ridge Country Club, Fort Wayne
- May 3-5th, 2019 - Planner for the SCBWI Marvelous Midwest Writing Conference, Chicago, Illinois
- June 21st, 2019 - Presenter for the All Write Summer Institute, Warsaw, Indiana
- June 27th, 2019 - Presenter for the Valparaiso YMCA
- July 8th and 9th - Presenter at Nerd Camp Michigan
- August 1st - Half day writing workshop presentation in Angus, Indiana
- September 7th - Writing Presentation in Goshen Indiana
- September 14th - Present at the Indiana State Literacy Association
- September 20th - Author visit for Liberty Elementary
- September 21st - Keynote at York Children's Literacy Festival
- September 28th - Reading and signing at Indy Reads Books
- October 5th - Keynote for Noblesville Reading Council Event
- October 28th - Author Visit and Family Literacy Night Speaker for Demotte Elementary
- November 2nd - Keynote at DKG Educational Sorority Event
- November 19th - Author Visit and Family Literacy Night Speaker for Wheatfield Elementary
- November 8th-9th - Book signing at Prairie Arts Council Holiday Fair
- November 23rd - Book reading and signing at Brown's Gift Shop
- December 7th - Book signing at Holiday Author Fair in Indianapolis
- December 9th-10th - Presenter at the Indiana Association for Gifted Children
- February 6th-7th - Presenter at the Illinois Gifted Children Conference
- March 2nd - Author Visit at Struthers Elementary in Ohio
- April 18th - Author Showcase at Hamilton East Library
- June 22nd-23rd - Present at Indiana Summer Writing Institute
- August 7th - Speaker for Christian Ladies Event in Greencastle Indiana